Monday, March 30, 2009

Time to Spend More Money

Last week Dave was searching craigslist and he stumbled upon a great deal on an AX-15 transmission (the type that is used with the Jeep 4.0 L engine), and after he spoke with the seller on the phone, we decided to make the trip up to buy it. So yesterday we drove about an hour and 20 minutes up to East Sparta, Ohio to the guy's house.

His house was out in the middle of the woods and surrounded by swamps and streams, and there were lots of trails and great mud patches everywhere. It was pretty clear from his assortment of vehicles that he was taking advantage of all the trails nearby. He had two Jeep Wranglers (a YJ and a TJ) that were both lifted with big off-road style tires and both were covered with mud (I'm talking mud caked on everywhere, even on the seats inside the Jeeps). He also had some little ATV's and off road vehicles that were pretty cool. I don't know why I didn't think to take any pictures while I was there, I'm kicking myself for it now.

He also had 4 full-sized ROTTWEILERS. I've never seen a Rottweiler up close, and I couldn't believe how huge and solid they are. Fortunately they were really friendly and all wanted to lick me and sniff me and not eat me.

So, I ended up buying an AX-15 tranny from him for $250, and he was such a nice guy that he threw in the bell housing and a broken transfer case (which has the 23 spline input gear I need) for free. Then he also showed me a full wiring harness and ECM that he pulled from a 4.0L Jeep Wrangler. Getting this stuff would save me the huge headache of figuring out how to get my 4 cylinder wiring harness to work with the new 6 cylinder engine, and also determining whether or not the Grand Cherokee ECM that I got from the guy who sold me the engine would work or not. I bought his harness and ECM for another $200.

Dave, being the impulsive buyer that he is, saw a set of half doors and a full set of seats that the guy had lying around, and bought them on the spot with cash that he brought with him "just in case" the guy had something he wanted.

I didn't do any work on the Jeep because it was cold and rainy and I didn't feel like working. Here is the list of things I will be working on in this week:

- Clean the new transmission (exterior and interior)
- Swap in the new input shaft into my t-case
- Finish cleaning up the 4.0
- Get the intake manifold hot dipped
- Install the rear brake assembly on the other side
- Reassemble the engine/tranny/t-case and prep for re-installation

No comments:

Post a Comment