Friday, March 27, 2009

Taking out the Interior

On Tuesday, March 24th, I spent most of the evening pulling out as much of the interior as I could. I managed to get all three seats out with little difficulty. The carpet was a little harder because of some accessories bolted down on top of it, such as the center console and the seatbelts.


As you can see, there is quite a bit of rust on the floor which will need to be sanded and then repainted. I still need to remove the carpet covering the rear wheel wells as well as the speakers and the wires running up to the dash.





My original plan was to simply throw out (or sell) the current seats because they are old, dirty, and ripped. Lately I've been considering keeping them and simply buying seat covers in order to save money, but I'm still undecided on this issue.


I turned the engine on the motor mount so that I could attempt to clean out the intake ports as much as possible without accidentally scraping any of the build-up into the cylinders. I don't know if I was successful or not... The grime buildup was pretty heavy and I wasn't able to get it all off.



My header is quite rusted and is also slightly cracked at the point where the tubes merge. But, since a new header will cost me around $400+, I think I will end up sand blasting it, welding the crack shut, and painting it to make it look good. The intake manifold will likely be taken to NAPA autoparts to be hot dipped (which I hope will clean it up nicely).


Next step: keep cleaning the engine!

No comments:

Post a Comment