Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Project JEEP Begins!

Hello and welcome to my blog. This is where I will attempt to keep track of everything that goes on during my first ever vehicle restoration project. The vehicle of choice is a white 1992 Jeep (YJ) Wrangler with a 2.5 L in-line 4 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. I purchased this Jeep from my friend Dave who is also a vehicle enthusiast and who happens to have a great deal of Jeep knowledge (and more importantly great facilities and just about every tool you'd ever need).

I've always wanted to take a vehicle in poor condition and do a complete restoration all by myself; from the body work, to the suspension, to the drivetrain. When I met Dave and heard that he does this stuff all the time as a hobby, I knew I couldn't let the opportunity to take advantage of his facilities pass me by (just kidding, Dave).

Jeep Wranglers were always vehicles that I considered to be a lot of fun and really cool. As it turns out, they are also relatively easy to work on, making them a prime choice for a beginner like myself. Another benefit to restoring a Jeep is the 4WD, which will come in handy for me in the winter when it snows and my RWD Mazda RX-8 becomes almost entirely useless. Fortunately, Dave happened to have a Jeep sitting around just waiting to be given a new life, so my timing was perfect.

Hopefully I will be vigilant in updating this blog (unlike my RX-8 blog, http://gsmithrx8.blogspot.com/). I've already completed a fair amount of work on the Jeep, and I have many pictures which I will be posting shortly. Right now my goal is to have the Jeep ready by July 1st so that I can drive it home to Massachusetts when I take a week off of work. My family usually gets together for the 4th of July, and I would love to show off my completed project to everyone and take people for rides!

Stay tuned for updates and pictures, and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment